Most people don’t realize that physical therapy not only helps your muscles recover from strain or injury, it is also effective in maintaining strong cardiovascular health! When cardiovascular disease is the number one killer for both men and women, it is important to learn everything you can about prevention and treatment.
Glenn Dale’s only personalized cardiovascular rehab program was founded in 2017 by Emmanuel Moses, owner of Evidence Physical Therapy, in collaboration with some of the area’s leading cardiologists. Many patients with cardiovascular problems struggle with rehabilitation because of orthopaedic problems. Recognizing the opportunity to help his community, Emmanuel has coupled the value of physical therapy with a state-of-the-art cardiovascular rehabilitation program to help patients achieve exceptional treatment outcomes.
- Cardiovascular physical therapy is as effective as beta blockers and cholesterol medication at reducing your risk of a repeated cardiac event.
- Cardiovascular physical therapy can reduce your risk of a repeated cardiac event by 20-25%.
- Research shows a 20-50% improvement in functional capacity and improvement in quality of life with therapy in your POC.
- Two-thirds of cardiac patients also have orthopedic and/or balance issue requiring physical therapy expertise
- The American Heart Association and American College of Cardiologists both recommend cardiopulmonary physical therapy for all patients with heart conditions.
What kinds of conditions are considered cardiovascular disorders?
The most common cardiovascular diseases include coronary artery disease, arrhythmia, cardiomyopathy, myocardial infarction, hypertension, and heart failure. Some of those conditions, like hypertension, often accompany other health problems, such as obesity and impaired fasting glucose. That means that it isn’t enough to just focus on one area if you want to have the best heart health. Heart health is tremendously important, and at Evidence Physical Therapy, we want to help you live the healthiest life you can.
What causes cardiovascular disease?
The underlying risk factors of cardiovascular disease include:
- Heart Attack
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Failure
- Vascular Disease
- Valve Replacement
- Bypass Surgery
- Limited Exercise Capacity
- High Coronary Artery Calcium Score
- High cholesterol
Though you can’t control your family’s history of heart disease, you can improve your heart health with our Glenn Dale and Clinton physical therapy services.
What are some early symptoms of cardiovascular disease?
Sometimes the changes in how you feel seem to sneak up on you, so you don’t notice that you are developing health problems until you are seriously ill. Knowing the early symptoms of cardiovascular disease can help you address them before they permanently cause your heart harm. Here are a few early signs of cardiovascular disease:
- Feeling more tired than normal.
- Uncomfortable walking up the stairs or running normal errands.
- Unexplained aches and pains in your chest, abdomen, shoulders, back, or even your jaw.
- Shortness of breath when you don’t feel like you have exerted yourself very much.
- Swollen feet or ankles could be a sign of impending heart problems, kidney failure, liver failure, or eating too much salt. If you notice this symptom, make sure a doctor diagnoses you.
- Heart palpitations where your heartbeat feels like it’s beating fast, fluttering, or even pounding.
- Nausea, lightheadedness, or cold sweats.
How can physical therapy help?
Physical therapy offers many benefits to many people who are experiencing cardiovascular problems. A physical therapist can safely monitor aerobic activities like running, walking, and swimming, along with strength training exercises. Studies show that physical therapy can help at all stages of recovery, and some of the benefits include shorter hospital stays, quicker recoveries, and a greater likelihood of avoiding the same problems in the future. Our physical therapist can give you a program for not just recovery, but for your life. Contact Us Today at Glenn Dale & Clinton, MD Centers to Request an appointment at Evidence Physical Therapy if you are ready to take control of your heart health.